Nutrition Services Incentive Program (NSIP) is a nutrition program offered to the elderly for providing them with healthy meals, education and counseling regarding the nutrition habits.
Nutrition Services Incentive Program aims a variety of goals (which target the qualified elderly) such as:
- Ensure the elderly with food security and reduce the possibility of hunger or of an unhealthy nutrition;
- Allow older people to actively participate to the social life and environment;
- Allow the elderly to benefit of a healthy life and a well-being condition;
- Allow older individuals to delay illness conditions.
Nutrition Services Incentive Program targets 60-year adults or older who can be classified under the following categories:
- Persons who have a low income;
- Persons who are part of a minority;
- Persons who are part of a rural community;
- Persons who are considered as having a limited English proficiency;
- Persons who are considered to be at risk and are part of an institutional care program.
Nutrition Services Incentive Program requires only the age criteria for considering a person eligible. All people who are in at least one of the categories listed above and meet the age requirement may apply for the program. There is an exception for the age requirement for the following categories of people:
- Persons who are under 60 years of age and are certified as disabled persons as long as they live in an elderly housing facility/congregation;
- Persons who are under 60 years of age and are certified as disabled persons as long as they live at home, but are accompanying an elderly person for having the meal in an elderly housing facility/congregation;
- Persons who are under 60 years of age and are volunteering at the meal service in an elderly housing facility/congregation.
Nutrition Services Incentive Program offers eligible participants to benefit of a wide variety of nutritional foods such as: fruits and vegetables (fresh or canned), beef products (cooked or frozen), pork products (cooked or frozen), poultry products (cooked or frozen), fish products (frozen), egg products, beans (dry or canned), nuts and seeds (raw or unsalted), high-protein yogurt, cheese varieties (chilled or frozen), vegetable oil, grains (wheat flour, bread, macaroni, rolled oats, pancakes, rice). The products may vary according to the agricultural market and the food is provided in the most suitable package size for institutional use.
Nutrition Services Incentive Program advises eligible participants to contact a distributing agency of the state where he/she resides and benefit of further assistance and information.
Nutrition Services Incentive Program offers its eligible participants several types of services as follows:
- Meals (offered through a Congregate Nutrition Services facility) based in senior or community centers, in certain schools or in day care centers for adults;
- Other nutrition services (offered through a Congregate Nutrition Services facility) such as education, screening and assessment related to nutrition;
Home-delivered services which provide meals to the elderly who are homebound for some reason (disability, the impossibility or lack of transportation, the distance etc);
Other nutrition services delivered at home (to the elderly who are homebound for some reason) such as education, screening and assessment related to nutrition.Nutrition Services Incentive Program offers its eligible participants the possibility to have at least one daily meal and for a minimum of five days per week. The meals have to meet all the Dietary Guidelines standards and be according to the USDA regulations and requirements. All nutrition products must be safe and properly stored and respect all quality requirements stated in the program’s legislation and regulations.
Nutrition Services Incentive Program advises you to contact a State agency where you can apply for the program and then to find a sponsor or a facility that is a participant of the program. You will be assisted by a special consultant who can guide you through the application process and provide you with all the technical assistance and training materials.